Is Kojic Acid Soap Dangerous? Kojic acid is one of the most popular skin whitening agents ever. However, for every celebrity, there will always be controversies. Here are the top ten facts about kojic acid.
Kojic acid is likely a known god when it comes to whitening products. However, there’s a rule that says: no product is effective unless it has side effects. Kojic is solidly grounded in prominent roots. When it comes to kojic acid side effects, here’s an answer to the question: is kojic acid soap dangerous?
1. First and foremost, what’s the standard to judge is a particular product is dangerous or not? Kojic acid is a peeling agent, it assists in exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, oil, dirt, and organisms that might be thriving on skin.
2. Kojic acid works by thawing the tight products deposited in pores. It helps in exfoliation and removal of the outermost layer of the skin.
3. As the outermost layer is stripped off, new skin is exposed. Kojic acid enhances cellular turnover to compensate for the lost tissue during exfoliation. Nevertheless, your skin has clean, soft, smooth, flawless, and vibrant skin.
4. However, there’s no product that works without a potential side effect. Kojic acid is, after all, an acid and may alter some of the skin’s normal flora. According to Material Safety study by Oxford, it was found out that kojic acid – as purely unprocessed kojic – is a dangerous substance by itself.
6. After exfoliation, the new skin underneath is more sensitive. The new, fresh skin is more sensitive to sunlight, pollution, radiation, and to other harsh products. A person needs to apply corticosteroid to skin after exfoliation to strengthen the skin against hypersensitivity.
7. The skin is at risk for allergic contact dermatitis since fresh new skin is almost always sensitive to anything. Allergic contact dermatitis is an condition characterized with allergic reactions on the skin upon exposure or contact to allergen.
8. The skin is at high risk for dryness. You might need to apply a generous amount of moisturizer or hydrating products while using kojic acid.
9. Kojic acid works by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase – an essential enzyme in the production of melanin. Thus, without tyrosinase, the skin is more likely to get sunburned. So it is important to apply sunscreen or sunblock from time to time. The SPF should be above 15 or 20.
10. Kojic acid is an important product to whitening. However, it is accompanied by serious side effects. Now, is kojic acid soap dangerous? Not really if you apply the necessary product to counter the side effects.